Wednesday, September 16, 2015

My Name is Riley... and I am a Patient


I read a beautifully written article a couple of weeks ago titled: “Is the Term’ Patient’ Counterproductive in Advocacy?  What to call ourselves,” written by Lene Anderson.  After reading the article, I was under the impression that the author was trying to say that using the term “patient” is limiting ourselves to forever be under the care of someone else’s decisions and we are unable to have any influence in our healthcare, ultimately putting us forever in a “passive state,” regarding our care.  Instead of saying “patient”, she uses the term “health advocate to describe myself in the contest of my work as a stakeholder and an empowered person who lives with chronic illness” (which, in her case, is Rheumatoid Arthritis).  While I understand her frustration of wanting to be seen as an individual with a unique illness, I feel like she is trying to say that being a “patient” means being a “victim” of the healthcare system.  
I personally don't feel like I am a “victim” of the healthcare system.  I believe am a product of my decisions and environment, one of which somehow triggered something in my body to take an already present gene and brainwashed it into thinking that healthy cells in my body are actually dangerous, forcing my body and mind to take a different route in life and healthcare to get through my earthly existence happily and with some fulfillment to my soul.  That's just my own personal thoughts on my personal situation.  Some people are born with brainwashed genes who have done nothing to influence their situation.  I personally don't believe that's what happened to me.  

The term “patient” is defined as: .
     1.       a person who is under medical care or treatment.
     2.       a person or thing that undergoes some action.

There are millions of people around the world who are under medical care or treatment from a doctor or other professional (medical or non) of some kind.  Pregnant women may be under the care of an Obstetrician or Midwife.  Someone with cancer may receive treatment from an Oncologist.  A person with Rheumatoid Arthritis may be trying to manage symptoms under the direction of a Rheumatologist.  These are all suggestions if the person chooses to seek advice from a medical professional.  Some may choose to treat illnesses holistically or with some other form of therapy (voodoo, acupuncture, diet, herbs, village healer, and many more).  All of these people using any of these forms of treatments, in my opinion, can be correctly described as “patients” according to the above definitions.

I am not a doctor or other healthcare professional, and I haven’t done much scientific research regarding treatments of my illness.  I trust that my doctor is doing that for me.  My doctor(s) can suggest treatments and write prescriptions which I have the choice to follow and use.  Every day, at least twice a day, I personally make my own decision to take medications that my doctor recommended so that I can function at least somewhat properly for the next several hours.  My doctor does not force me into doing something I don’t want to do.  Correction: I really don’t want to have to take medications to help control my pain and other symptoms of RA, but I don’t want to deal with the consequences of choosing to not take the medications.  So again, I freely choose to take them on a daily basis.  I have also put my trust in alternative therapies including herbs and diet adjustments, all of which haven’t helped me as much as prescription medications have.  Some people have had great success with alternative treatments.  Not me.  But I'm glad I've tried them and I will continue experiment and try alternative therapies in conjunction with treatments suggested by my Rheumatologist that I choose to follow.

Alien experimentation could possibly help
I don’t believe using the term “patient” is negative in any way.  I feel the only way a person who is experiencing a symptom of anything will not be able to call him/herself a “patient” is if that person does absolutely nothing regarding the negative situation he/she may be in.  Someone who blows her nose because of allergies is someone who is taking “action” and is, technically, a patient.  Someone who puts a bandage on a papercut to relieve bleeding and irritation would be a “patient”.  A houseplant that perks up after getting watered is a “patient.” 

I don't want to discredit the article completely.  I feel it's very important to be an advocate.  I believe that a person can be a patient and an advocate at the same time.  An advocate is defined as
     1.       a person who acts on the behalf of or speaks for another–eg, for a cause or plea.
     2.       to act or speak for another person or group of person

I definitely agree that we need to be advocates for the care of others, but I also believe we need to be actively engaged in our own care as well.  It's like the rule that you put on your own oxygen mask before helping others.  We need to make sure we are taking care of ourselves before we can successfully help others.

Love ya Lene!  Keep chugging along and inspiring us!


Riley

  

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I both agree and disagree with your point. I never mind being call patient. I keep stumbling around the correct term to describe myself. Do I have a condition? or a disease? Am I a patient or a person with? I decided I am all of those things and even more. So that part I agree.

    The part I disagree about is that I did something to cause my disease. I have three of these autoimmune diseases, conditions, issues, whatever. Type 1 diabetes, RA and Ankylosing Spondylitis, If I thought I caused one of these issues I might spiral into anger.

    So how did I get these things? Call it genetics gone wacky, or whatever, I have to say I am me plus 41 years of crazy disease experience.

    Take care, I am excited you will be joining us for a #RABlog week your writing is superb and I love people who help me think in a bigger more complex manner.

    rick

    PS: area 51 made me laugh, loved it

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first comment on my blog! Yay! Thanks, Rick. I wondered if I would get some feedback by that comment. I have adjusted my post to say that I feel that way with my personal situation and others' will be different.

    ReplyDelete