Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Most Magical Childhood Moment



I tend to get writers block pretty easily.  However, since I’ve started this blog, I have realized that it will be difficult for me to run out of material regarding my experiences Rheumatoid Arthritis.  My new problem is, I want to do a thorough job, and it is not conducive to my timeline.

For example: my last post, I talked about my early signs and symptoms leading to an RA diagnosis.  My next post I’m hoping to write is going to be about finally receiving my diagnosis.  It’s just taking me a bit longer to write than I anticipated.

One of my goals in writing this blog is to post at least twice a week.  I’ve already failed that twice.  In order to help me keep that goal, I would like to occasionally take a random question and answer it.  I bought a few conversation starter books with hundreds of random questions that are supposed to kickstart a conversation under any circumstances.  My circumstance is a blog.  I’m not trying to take up my time and yours with “subpar” post.  I still want to do my best writing (which still may be “subpar” to some of you awesome readers and writers), but maybe these won’t take as much time and space to write.

So, while I keep you in suspense about the story of my diagnosis, I would like to answer a question from the book “The Complete Book of Questions” by Garry Poole.

Question: How would you describe your most magical childhood moment?

Besides using the word, magical?  Um, well, ah.  It was…magical.

When I think of the word “magical” regarding someone’s childhood, I always think about Disneyland.  Yes, I'm cliche and unoriginal.  While I’m not sure if my first trip to Disneyland is my MOST magical moment, it was definitely magical and memorable.

Many people experience Disneyland as a young child.  I was 16 years old the first time I went to Disneyland.  Since then, I’ve been there 4 other times, including once in a wheelchair (still fun, but I don’t recommend it).  All trips have been fun, but the first one was the most magical.

Awwww, there's my little high school graduate

That trip was basically my “senior” trip.  I didn’t technically have a senior year of high school, but I could have gone on the trip with the seniors I graduated with for the graduation trip.  Instead, I chose to go with some family members to California, and it was a blast!!!  We hit the beach (my first experience with the ocean also!), Sea World, the San Diego Zoo, and, of course, Disneyland.  My sister and decided to try and hit all of the rides at Disneyland and California Adventure in 3 days.  We didn't make it, but that's ok!  It was still a blast!  We stuck together and ran amuck all over the place!  Even though I was a teenager, it was still magical to see and I still got very excited to see Kronk!




I have really enjoyed Disneyland all of the times I’ve gone, and there has been something special each time.  I have been there around Halloween where the entire park was decorated with a Halloween theme, and the same around Christmastime.  I do have to say, The Haunted Mansion at Christmastime is 10 times cooler than any other time of the year.  I highly recommend it.

Just a note about exploring Disneyland in a wheelchair…

I was on crutches for almost 2 years before starting surgeries.  One of my trips to Disneyland was during that time.  I knew I didn’t want to truck all over the park on crutches, so I rented a wheelchair and my husband pushed me around the resort.  I did have to get out of the wheelchair to be transferred onto many of the rides, but I don’t feel like I missed out on anything whatsoever.  I feel like everything was very accommodating.

If you struggle with mobility issues and are planning a trip to Disneyland, I suggest looking at their webpage to see what kind of accommodations you may need to take advantage of.

No I am not being paid to endorse Disneyland.  I just love it that much!

Flik! My sister's toenails were painted blue, and he noticed!

Smiles!!!

Riley

2 comments:

  1. Did you REALLY have to pick Disneyland?:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also thinking about a time when my sister forced me to sing with her at the county fair, but that was more of a dark magical moment...

      Delete