Friday, September 25, 2015

Exercise and RA



I used to love to be incredibly active.  I grew up on a farm with plenty of opportunities to be outside, run around, chase sheep, move sprinklers by hand, and many more awesome farm duties.  On top of that, I played all kinds of sports all year long.  I wanted to play college sports, I had a goal to run a marathon, I really enjoyed weightlifting.  I was fit and happy.

Hiking in Utah
 Running was never my favorite exercise, but I loved how good I felt afterward.  My heart, my lungs, my muscles all burned with glorious fatigue like they were thanking me for a birthday present that would magically extend their lives.  My health and fitness status changed dramatically after I was diagnosed at 17 years old.  I can remember trying to go for a jog just weeks after I got on prednisone and I was feeling almost normal.  Before I started feeling sick I could run a few miles with no issues.  That day, I could barely run 2 blocks before my knees were killing me and I was extremely fatigued. 

There are some people who don’t really enjoy running.  I kind of feel sorry for those people.  I usually pass someone out jogging when I am driving to work, and am envious.  I miss jogging and the feeling afterward. 

I don’t know how many times it can be repeated.  Exercise is beneficial for people with Rheumatoid Arthritis.  The ArthritisFoundation has this to say regarding exercise and RA.

“Research shows that exercise helps to relieve rheumatoid arthritis (RA) symptoms and improve day-to-day functioning.”

My doctors are all aware of my pains and mobility limitations.  It's impossible to jog, it hurts to walk very far, my knees don't bend well to be on a bike, I can't get up and down from the floor.  I'm a wreck.  We crossed off bike riding, yoga, walking (for long), hiking, pretty much anything they can throw at me, except swimming.  Swimming is my prescribed exercise.  Well, my arms can't do a full rotation at the shoulder, so swimming for me is more like holding onto a kickboard and kicking my legs but I usually don't go anywhere. Now my question is, when am I supposed to find time to "swim"?  I have a full time job, two kids who I miss terribly during the day, and weekends packed with household chores that I don’t have time or energy for during the week.

I’m not trying to complain.  Ok, maybe a little.  But I can sit here and read all of the information I can find about the benefits of swimming or any exercise for people suffering from RA.  Now how about someone tell me how to apply that information in my busy life so I’m not missing work, sleep, or time with my kids.

Sorry for the angry post today, but as you can see, I’m frustrated with this topic.

Till tomorrow,

Riley

No comments:

Post a Comment