Friday, August 7, 2015

I Love It When People Get It!



Tell me if I’m wrong, but I truly feel like RA is an extremely misunderstood condition.  One day you’re feeling fine and have no problems walking a mile in windy conditions.  Then the next day, you’re stiff, sore, and maybe even bruised, probably all resulting from that walk that you did yesterday because you felt so good.  I have often wondered why even my hands and elbows hurt the day after a lot of walking.  They’re on the opposite end of the body than your feet and knees that I would assume would take most of the effort.  Well, thanks to my RA, every joint in my body is affected any kind of physical activity.  So, at times, even I don’t get RA.  But it is much more often to have someone else who doesn’t get RA.

Here’s a story for you - My husband and I were getting ready to go on a 10-day trip where we were going to do a bunch of camping.  Our most reliable vehicle was a Mitsubishi Eclipse that just didn’t have a lot of room, and we had a lot of stuff to take.  My husband was talking on the phone to someone else who was coming with us (in separate vehicles, thank goodness) and telling her about how packed our car was.  

Oh yeah, and it broke down the first day of our trip.

A little background - My husband and his family and friends love to go backpacking where they take minimal supplies that they can pack in a bag that sits on their backs, and then hike around and camp and have a great time with very few essentials.  They need food, clothes, sleeping bags, mats, water, first aid, tools… lots of things that all need to fit in their packs and be light enough to carry for extended periods of time.  Some sleep in hammocks that get tied between two trees, some sleep in their sleeping bags directly on the ground, and some have tiny, thin, air “mattresses” that give minimum support and can deflate and roll up tight.  Sounds like a blast, but it’s just not for me.  I need lots of big fluffy pillows to put between my knees and to hug on and support my shoulders.  Not to mention a soft mattress that my hips can sink into.  I’m glad people have fun backpacking and living off of minimal products, it’s just not conducive to my physical condition.

Anyways, my husband started listing a lot of things that we were trying to pack into our car: sleeping bags, pillows, big air mattress, bags of clothes, toiletries, food, outdoor cooking supplies, coolers… The list was going on and on.  The person he was telling this to said, “Well, why don’t you leave the big air mattress?” 
My husband said, “Riley can’t sleep on the ground.” 
As if she didn’t even hear what he just said, she said, “Yeah, just take your backpacking mats.”
Again, my husband said, “Uh, Riley can’t sleep on the ground.”  I was standing there listening to the conversation and it was as if the other person completely forgot about me and my high maintenance, excessive needs for a simple (10-day) camping trip.  Don’t worry, that wasn’t my first nor my last encounter with that particular person forgetting about me… There’s underlying frustrations here too.

Moving on.  That’s just one example of why it’s frustrating when someone just doesn’t get it.  Yes, any normal, non-high maintenance person may just pack a thin mat to sleep on because his/her body can handle being on a firm surface.  It won’t work for me. 

Then there’s the rare occasion when someone actually gets it!!!

One day, I was talking to a little 10 year old boy that I knew pretty well, and he had just returned from playing at the park.  He was explaining how much fun he had and what playground equipment he played on, and he said to me, “You know, Riley, if you could walk good, you could have fun at the park too.  Well, no, there are things you could do that you don’t have to walk for.  Like swing, and, umm….”  Long pause, and then his eyes got huge and his smile extended to his ears and he said, “Tire swing!”  I had a good chuckle at that.  He is someone who gets it.

There once was a time that I could do other things at the park besides the swing and tire swing.  I could have easily gone backpacking and slept on a tiny mat with no issues whatsoever.  But as time has gone on, those possibilities are limited.  No, they are gone.

A bit of love from The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams:

'It doesn't happen all at once,' said the Skin Horse. 'You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.” 

Lots of thanks to those of you out there who understand.  For those of you who don’t, may I suggest that you stop it!  Get a clue!  Start thinking of somebody other than yourself!

I know, that was harsh.  But seriously, be aware of those around you and the pain they may or may not be in.  I realize that just because I’m in pain all the time, doesn’t mean that someone else’s pain is insignificant.  Everybody hurts.  Please try to be a bit more sensitive and stop trying to tell me to be a bit more thick-skinned.  Don’t get upset because I glare at you for calling me “crippled.”  But don’t ignore me, either.  Please just  love me and I will try my best to love you also.

Riley

No comments:

Post a Comment