Friday, August 21, 2015

Are My Bones Bendy?



A few years ago, some door-to-door salesmen from Latvia came to my home with a series of children’s books that they were selling.  My husband and I sat through the presentation but didn’t feel like they were something we wanted to invest in at that time.  I’m not sorry that we didn’t buy the books, but there is one book that has stuck in my mind called Are My Bones Bendy?  I broke down and bought that one because I like how it asks questions and gives the answers in a way that kids can understand.  Here’s how the book answers the question, are my bones bendy?




I finally went to the doctor because of my fall last week.  The pain was getting more intense and I wanted to see if they could help figure out why it wasn’t improving.  The doctor gave me some (more) medications to help and asked me to get an x-ray.  After looking at the films, they decided that (thankfully) they weren’t broken.  Finally, after a few days of medication and light activity, things are feeling much better and I am on the mend.

Knowing that my ribs were not fractured gives me great peace of mind, not only because I don’t have to deal with a possible longer and more difficult healing time, but it also means that my bones are still healthy and osteoporosis hasn’t started kicking in yet!

Wait a second…why is a busy 31-year old dairy-product-loving woman who spends a lot of time chasing 2 kids worried about bone loss and osteoporosis? 

Here is why I’m concerned: “Studies have found an increased risk of bone loss and fracture in individuals with rheumatoid arthritis. People with rheumatoid arthritis are at increased risk for osteoporosis for many reasons. To begin with, the glucocorticoid medications often prescribed for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis can trigger significant bone loss. In addition, pain and loss of joint function caused by the disease can result in inactivity, further increasing osteoporosis risk. Studies also show that bone loss in rheumatoid arthritis may occur as a direct result of the disease. The bone loss is most pronounced in areas immediately surrounding the affected joints. Of concern is the fact that women, a group already at increased osteoporosis risk, are two to three times more likely than men to have rheumatoid arthritis as well,“ (webmd.com).

Another article I found regarding RA and bone loss says, “RA’s inflammation contributes to bone damage, possibly by stimulating osteoclasts -- bone cells that deplete bone minerals. Prednisone, a corticosteroid drug used for decades to control inflammation, is one of the notorious culprits in bone mineral density loss,” (arthritis.org).  Many RA patients have been able to control their RA symptoms with little or no Prednisone.  In the 14 years I’ve been treating my RA, I have only gone 3 years with no Prednisone.  I am currently taking it and trying to taper off of it, but I haven’t had good results lately.  My heavy Prednisone use is another reason I'm so concerned about my bone health.

One way that I try to combat my bone loss is by taking alendronate (Fosamax) supplements.  Other ways to prevent and treat bone loss can be exercise (especially weight bearing), consuming dairy products, taking calcium AND vitamin D supplements, and practicing general good health and lifestyle habits (no smoking or drinking alcohol, eat healthy foods, no junk food...).

You don’t have to wait until you fall and are worried about a bone fracture to find out if your bones are healthy.  A bone density test (DEXA scan) can help determine the level of damage that inflammation and medication may have done to your bones.  This is what the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases has to say about this: “A bone mineral density (BMD) test measures bone density in various parts of the body. This safe and painless test can detect osteoporosis before a fracture occurs and can predict one’s chances of fracturing in the future. The BMD test can help determine whether medication should be considered. People with rheumatoid arthritis, particularly those who have been receiving glucocorticoid therapy for 2 months or more, should talk to their doctor about whether a BMD test is appropriate.”  Easy, right?

While I may have difficulties with osteoporosis later in my life, it appears that I am good to go in that department, at least for a little while.  Yay!!!!

Lots of smiles :)

Riley

No comments:

Post a Comment