Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Choose Wisely, My Dears



About 4 years after being diagnosed with RA, I started having a very intense, sharp pain in my knee when I walked.  It was a very different pain than what I was used to with my normal inflammation.  The pain was alleviated greatly when I bent my knee and walked around.  I told my rheumatologist about it and he mentioned that it sounds like I had a tear in the cartilage of that knee.  He advised me to see an orthopedic surgeon to see how extensive the damage was and to get recommendations for surgery, cortisone injections, therapy, whatever would help my extreme knee pain.  I made an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon and in the meantime, got some forearm crutches that helped immensely with my ability to get around.

It took several weeks to get in to see the orthopedic surgeon.  When the day of my appointment finally came, the technician took x-rays and I gave a short explanation to the medical assistant that my rheumatologist said it sounded like a tear in the cartilage.  The doctor came in with my x-rays and said, “Riley you have the knees of an 80-year old woman.”  (I was 22 at the time)  “Your knees are bone on bone.”  I was a bit shocked, to say the least.  A couple of years after I was diagnosed, I had the thought that I would probably be in a wheelchair by the time I was 30.  For some reason, I hadn’t considered joint replacement surgeries.  I didn’t think that it wasn’t an option for RA patients, I just plain didn’t think about it at all!!  More on my joint replacements later.  Yes, replacements, multiple.  Again, later.

About 5 months before my rheumatologist said I had a tear in my knee cartilage.  You can see my right knee is extremely swollen, my pants are tight around it.  I can barely straighten my knee because of pain and swelling.


I was a bit upset at my rheumatologist.  A tear in the cartilage?  Ummm, there was no cartilage left to tear!!!  I knew that RA could be aggressive, but my rheumatologist told me I had a “mild” form.  Well, if I had a mild form that depleted the cartilage in my knee after four years, I really felt bad for those with an aggressive form.  I have since changed rheumatologists – multiple times – and have declared that I have an aggressive form of RA.

I will say, part of the problem may have been my fault because for a few years I didn’t have very good insurance and couldn’t afford expensive, aggressive therapies to treat my symptoms.  I lived on Tylenol and Prednisone for a couple of years because I just didn’t have any money and they seemed to be the best treatment for me at the time.  My rheumatologist never talked with me about my status, improvements, digression, anything that made me feel like I needed to do more.  He did mention studies for biologic medications that he felt I would be a “good candidate” for.  I would get medication at no cost and they could possibly help.  Well, I saw the side effects and said no way after I saw the word “death”.  I wasn’t about to inject myself with a medication that could possibly work and could possibly have a side effect ending in death.  Sorry, I just wasn’t comfortable with that.

The thing that cracks me up now, is that I stayed with that rheumatologist for another 5 years!!!!  Why did I do that?!?!?  I have no idea.  I did try to break ties and try another doctor in Las Vegas at the recommendation of my orthopedic surgeon.  Ummm, that was a little scary.  I temporarily decided that my previous rheumatologist wasn’t so bad after seeing the one in Vegas.  Buuuuuttt, then I remembered what a robot he was and I started looking around again.

There is a serious lack of decent rheumatologists.  Especially in my neck of the woods.  I was able to find one only 60 miles away instead on 250, so I started going to him.  He was worse than the other two I had seen combined!  Thankfully, the only thing I really needed from a rheumatologist was prescription refills.  I had stopped taking biologics and methotrexate for a couple of years while I had my two girlies.  But this guy really drove me nuts so I went on the hunt again for a new rheumatologist.  I knew I would have to be on a waiting list for a long time to go where I wanted to (University of Utah Rheumatology Clinic), so I called them up.  They were a couple of months out on scheduling new patients.  I was pregnant with my younger daughter when I was finally able to see someone.  Hallelujah!  He is amazing! 

Why did it take me 12 years to find a great rheumatologist?  When I was diagnosed at 17, I feel I was quite independent.  I was going to college and living in a college apartment with roommates.  I had a part time job and was trying to make good financial decisions.  But I was also inexperienced, vulnerable, timid, and unsure of my options and my ability to make decisions related to doctors and treatments.  I just didn’t know any better.

I’m here to advise you that YOU HAVE A CHOICE!  For whatever ailment/situation you may have, you can be the one to choose.  The reason I went to that one in the first place is because that’s why my general doctor advised me to see.  I truly thought it was because he was the best and that’s why I was being sent to him.  It was probably more like he’s the first one who had an opening the next day after I went to my general doctor with large amounts of swelling and pain all over my body.  I needed help fast.

I’m sure you need help fast too, but after the initial appointment and diagnosis, it’s OK to look around for someone who will be great for you.  Really search, ponder, and investigate someone who may be your amazing doctor.  You are a wise person; use that wisdom to improve your situations.

Now, a call to anyone who is thinking of going to medical school: may I suggest that you consider specializing in rheumatology?  I tell that to everyone I talk to who is going to medical school, but so far it seems like oncology and pediatric oncology is the popular choice.  I will say, I recognize that there is a growing need for good oncologists, especially pediatric.  It a very noble specialization that I’m sure can give great fulfillment.  But so is rheumatology.  It may not sound as glamorous, but remember that I said there is a serious lack of decent rheumatologists.  Many of the good ones are aging and there aren’t many interested in filling their spots when they retire.  If you become a good rheumatologist, just think about how many people will look to you for relief from every day pain for years and even decades to come.  Chronic diseases like rheumatoid arthritis aren’t going anywhere, and we need you to help us.  And not just for RA.  Scleroderma, Lupus, Vasculitis, Psoriasis, and many more conditions that rheumatologists are trained to treat!  If you don’t help us, who will?  We can’t live off of Tylenol and Prednisone forever. 
 

 Riley

No comments:

Post a Comment