Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Intro



Hello, my name is Riley.  I have RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis, Rheumatoid Disease, Rheumatism, etc.).  Now, just because I have RA, doesn’t mean that I’m an expert on everything RA.  I don’t have experience with every treatment option, every symptom, nor every type of ache or damage.  However, I am an expert regarding MY experience with RA.

It amazes me how many people are unfamiliar with Rheumatoid Arthritis and many of the effects it can have on people.  I was diagnosed when I was 17 years old.  By the time I was 23, I was walking with the aid of crutches all the time.  My knees were the size of softballs, my hips were bent, my feet could barely hold my 115 pounds, and my fingers could no longer run along the piano keys that they could just a few years earlier.  Regarding my condition, I heard everything from “But you’re so young,” to “My aunt had arthritis and she did gold shots. You should do that,” to “I have a miracle drink that will cure you,” and “I didn’t know you could get arthritis at this age.”

While I do have a unique story about my RA (everybody does), it is by no means the worst possible case.  I was looking on the Arthritis Foundation’s website a few years ago, and one of the headlines was advertising an Arthritis Walk in Las Vegas, Nevada.  On the page, was a photo of an adorable little boy, maybe 4 or 5 years old, standing on crippled legs with the aid of forearm crutches, posing for a photo next to a couple of show dancers.  I just about burst into tears when I saw that photo with that little cutie.  I know how painful my journey has been as a young adult.  I thought that if that boy’s pain was anything like mine, what a great injustice there is in this world for someone so young to have to endure that.  

My goal is to raise awareness.  I want to raise awareness of the increasing presence of Rheumatoid Arthritis.  I want to raise awareness of my experience of RA.  I want to raise awareness of the challenges RA can pose to people who are burdened with it.  I want to raise awareness of ways to help those who may be caring for someone with RA.  Lastly, I want to raise awareness for support of those who have RA, and those who are caregivers to those with RA.

According to the CDC, “Arthritis is the nation’s most common cause of disability.”  If that is true, why are there so many people with questions about it?  Why do so many people say hurtful things to me because of ignorance regarding the struggles of RA?  How can I help people understand what may be helpful, not just for me, but for their loved ones that may be struggling with arthritis or other chronic conditions.

Even though I’m in pain, I try to smile.  That’s the best thing that anyone can do no matter what else is going on in this crazy life.  So here are some smiles for you, and remember to make it a great day!


Riley

No comments:

Post a Comment